Saturday, July 7, 2012

An interesting interview with Edmund McMillen

Not my interview. I wish I could get a chance to pry this guy's brain, I honestly think he's fascinating, and this article just cemented that for me.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-29-the-binding-of-edmund-mcmillen

You may have seen the name Edmund McMillen here before - he was the designer behind Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac, as well as other stuff like Gish and Time Fcuk (not a typo), and if you've read my reviews of his games it should be pretty clear that I'm a big fan of his work. This article is about a week old now, but I wanted to share it because I think it's an absolutely amazing look into the mind of a man who not only thinks in very odd (yet surprisingly sensible) directions, but, more importantly, a man who's not afraid to put out games that challenge a lot of the taboos in our society, especially religion in BoI.

Special things that I found interesting:
* Violence's prominence in religion (which I find very true, though I think what to make of that is extremely debatable).
* Recreating childhood to find that sense of fear of infinite possibility and myth again.
* Shame over Super Meat Boy as "safe," which I can absolutely see.
* Unhappiness with the way Indie Game: The Movie has changed people's perceptions of him.
* The story behind the left arm tattoo (check out the second picture to get a glimpse of it).

If you didn't catch on, I'm stalling a bit because I didn't actually write up a content post for today. I'm having friends over to game today (Saturday) but I don't know what we'll play. More GPNW posts soon, I swear! I the meantime though, check out the interview, it's very cool.

End Recording,
Ego.

No comments :

Post a Comment