Monday, July 28, 2014

Midsummer '14 Day 28: Avicii - Addicted To You

DAY TWENTY-EIGHT: ADDICTED TO YOU

I listen to about half of Avicii's album True a lot. Some of the stuff is just whatever, but other bits are great. I wish Levels was on it. Wake Me Up is a radio powerhouse and hasn't stopped getting daily radio play on basically all the stations I listen to for over a year - it's truly amazing how much staying power it has. I think Avicii hit the goldmine of genre-blending, carrying more pop-styling into his EDM tunes and augmenting with folk sensibilities and soul-inflected voices (this one, for example, features Audra Mae but reminds me a lot of Adele). His constant parade of guest vocalists on the album gives a wide variety of sounds, which acts both for and against him but largely for.

I credit Avicii with being one of a small handful of names largely responsible for the mainstreaming and pop-ification of EDM and house, which may not appeal to some people but does to me.

End Recording,
Ego.

No comments :

Post a Comment