Friday, July 4, 2014

Midsummer '14 Day 4: Theory of a Deadman - Drown

DAY FOUR: THEORY OF A DEADMAN - DROWN

Theory of a Deadman is not a great band. Taken as a whole, they're ok at best. They come from the cookie-cutter mold that Nickelback generated when they were plucked to fame, down to the same genre cues - you know the type. The sort that's just far too light-headed to really be labeled "post-grunge" or "hard rock," whose understanding of the genre is superficial at best and downright generic at worst.
On the other hand, the mold doesn't tend to generate BAD artists, just generic ones that lack anything particularly special. And even generic artists occasionally pop out something pretty interesting, and this is one of those cases. I like it. Maybe that says something about my taste I guess, but whatever, you're here to hear what I like to listen to. Given that this is the first release from their upcoming album, it almost makes me hopeful that it'll be genuinely good. Probably not though, sadly.

Where did I hear about ToaD (that's a silly acronym, I'm not gonna use that again :/)? They had some songs in David Cage's early game Indigo Prophecy aka Fahrenheit. Now THAT'S a shitty game.

End Recording,
Ego.

No comments :

Post a Comment